Partnering on the hydrogen infrastructure build
Already a rapidly developing sector, hydrogen transport via pipeline can benefit from Vallourec’s expertise in pipe and tube metallurgy in relation to hydrogen. We are a valued member of the European Pipeline Research Group (EPRG) and its joint industry project studying the behavior of hydrogen on metals. Our offer for hydrogen transportation includes:
- A comprehensive line pipe product and services offer adapted to hydrogen transmission including seamless line pipe for: on and offshore use with fatigue-sensitive applications; high-pressure operations; corrosive environments; ultra-deep and sour service environments with a focus on combatting hydrogen embrittlement.
- Serimax welding and field joint coating services.
- Associated services such as external anti-corrosion and thermal insulation coating, CRA lined pipe, bends, welding and multi-jointing.
- Accompanying customers in repurposing their pipes for a new fluid and assessing the best solutions to support them in this ambition.
- Expertise and availability to act as a potential supplier for newbuilds.
Underground Storage Solutions
To ensure safe and reliable Hydrogen storage, large-scale solutions must be developed. Salt caverns are one such geological formation that might provide ample storage possibilities for hydrogen. Currently used for natural gas, salt caverns offer excellent sealability of the salt structure, together with efficiency, low operating costs, and significant economies of scale. Vallourec’s hydrogen storage solutions include:
- Sour service expertise and Oil Country Tubular Goods (OCTG) applications to help customers optimize tubing sealability to explore further salt cavern development for hydrogen. We are already supplying tubings for several pilot wells.
- A wide range of steel grades suitable for severe sour service environments, which offer good resistance to hydrogen embrittlement.
- A wide range of VAM® connections that provide tight sealability and thus safe hydrogen storage.
- Weldable grades for optimized weldability performance that are also qualified for sour service.
- Intelligent Pipe solution featuring pipe integrity management sensors that monitor pipe temperature and pressure of the entire wellbore in real time and thus ensures safety by detecting leakage. By combining Intelligent Pipe with both our internal pipe database and Smartengo Running Expert digital solution, Vallourec offers a truly complete digital pipe traceability solution that enhances operations and safety.
Powering ahead on hydrogen vehicles
Vallourec’s technology for high-pressure hydrogen forms part of the drive toward mass commercialization of hydrogen-powered fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs) through the development of an increasingly robust refueling station infrastructure. Our offer includes:
- Solutions for high-pressure components in hydrogen refueling stations.
- Pipes intended for high-pressure storage in pressure vessels or piston accumulators.
- A unique manufacturing range which allows for the largest dimensions: up to 660mm outside diameters, wall thicknesses up to 65mm, and inner volumes up to 3,000 liters (fit for pressure up to 1,000 bar) are feasible.
- Customer support to optimize their designs to adjust to the needs of their projects and to innovate together for safe and efficient refueling stations.